Saturday, April 20, 2013

What to do when Epoxy is curing?

Arrange samples received for a photo shoot, that's what!



AirTech sent me a great sample supply.
I was so happy when I heard the delivery truck pull up!!

  • GreenFlow 75   (Resin Distribution Media)  (3 yards)
  • Yellow Tacky Tape   (3 Rolls)
  • EconoPly E   (Peel Ply)   (1 yard)
  • EconoLease   (Silicon Treated Peel Ply for release)   (1 yard)
  • EconoWeave   (Bleeder/Breather)   (1 yard)
  • Ipplon   (Bagging film)   (54"x10')
  • Securelon Big-Blue L100   (Bagging Film)   (1 yard)
  • WL3700 Perforated Film   (60"x10')

I should have enough materials to do at least three infusions. They also sent a HUGE catalog with all their product offerings! The packaging was first rate (like everything else I've received so far) and arrived within a week.

Customer Service was great!
I worked with:
     Jason Laughlin, Account Manager
     jlaughlin@airtechintl.com
     (714) 899-8100 (work)

=====================================

My Epoxy order got messed up, I called Endurance again to get a status and was told they had to check with the lab on when it would be ready. I didn't receive a call back, so I'll be checking with them again on Monday. No huge rush though, since I'm still working on the Beam model.

Speaking of which, progress photo's below.
Before installing the foam pieces, I coated the outsides with two layers of epoxy to better ensure an airtight seal. I think that'll work, but time will tell.
Angled foam inserts on sides of Beam Recess Mold



















Then I added a foam section at the rear to serve as an infusion flange.


 

 


Now I'm just working on the Epoxy fillets. I definitely learned that I will need at least a Tyvek apron and some sleeves. Not to mention a longer stick to smooth out the fillets. It's actually going quite well, but I can see the potential for a really big mess if things got carried away. The crazy thing with epoxy is that one tiny little smudge on your skin quickly transfers to everything else it touches as an even larger sticky spot... like some sort of multiplying affect! It doesn't seem possible, yet it happens - must be magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment